Thursday, January 17, 2008

Happiness is a Choice

Our greatest happiness in life does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
- Thomas Jefferson

Happiness is a by-product of living well, and with a good conscience. Living well with a good conscience comes through living for God. Being happy is a choice. I can either be happy or miserable. When worries try to overwhelm us, and they will, we need to poitively make a choice to smile through the pain and laugh through the sorrow. I have made a choice that I will not go through life miserable.

"Don't Worry, Be Happy!"

6 comments:

Jana Allard said...

I have told many people, "In life, there will be pain. Misery is optional." I choose happiness. Great post, Nunny.

DeadMule said...

Hi Brian, Raised in a Christian home, I have been taught from childhood and,therefore,believe that "happiness is a choice," yet I have friends with bipolar personalities. Is happiness always a choice for them, also? Or should we cut them some slack? Helen

Karen J. Hopper said...

Excellent thought - that we all need reminded of from time to time. Happiness truly is a choice - and if I chose, contentment will ride along side happiness. For if I am content, knowing God is with me in any circumstance, then I will be happy because I know He is beside me. Well must hush and put on my happy face.

Mark Pryor said...

Great post, having just read Jana's post my mind immediately begin to think about how these two actually intertwine. I've seen PK's that were miserable and others that were happy...it was not the difference of environment, but rather the difference of attitude. Happiness is definitely a choice!

Brian Allard said...

Jana-in this business alot of pain ensues. Thanks for choosing to be happy with me!

Helen-most of my secular training is in Psychology. I am keenly aware of issues with bipolar people. I believe that happiness is a choice with them as well. If they choose to properly take their medication then then can live, for the most part, a happy, productive life.

Brian Allard said...

Sis Hopper- I have heard for years the expression that, "contentment with Godliness is great gain" may this answer to the validity of this comment.

Mark- You're right! Attitude has everything to do with it!