Thursday, May 1, 2008

I Defend Your Right

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire

I certainly do not agree with men like Jeremiah Wright and others who spew their hatred and anti-American "centrisms." I must however defend their right to speak. To deny people a right to voice their opinions is to deny them the very foundation on which this country was founded. I enjoy freedom of speech and employ it often. People may not like what I have to say but my constitutional right to say it remains free. You don't have to like the message but you must allow people their voice!

Freedom of speech stops, however, when the speaker crosses over into malicious rhetoric about killing and destroying people, or it includes defamation of character. This type of behavior should be eradicated. Whether it is preached from a pulpit, spoken in a political state house, or shouted from a street corner, hatred is NEVER acceptable!

I may not agree with what you say, but I WILL defend your right to say it as long it does not enter the area of willful and malicious intent!

7 comments:

Jana Allard said...

I could not have said it better.

Brian Allard said...

Thanks babe-that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Great posting. How wonderful to be allowed our freedom of speech. It is what makes us unique as well as inviting - or unwelcome. However, certain words have no place (i.e., to kill, to defame character). Wish your post could go nationwide into every home.

Brian Allard said...

Sis. Hopper--I wonder how many people really appreciate their freedom of speech? I wish this could get into every home!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

True, we forget this freedom of speech we still enjoy, until we talk to a foreigner or read this post. Merci.

Brian Allard said...

Catherine-We really do not understand the freedoms that we enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Good post dad, as mom said I could not have done better. Keep up the good work.